Can I petition for removal of a child from an unsafe home and for legal guardianship if I’m not next of kin?

You can be the petitioner in a dependency case seeking to be the custodian, permanent guardian or possibly adoptive parent of the child. Any person with knowledge can petition the court. While most dependency cases are initiated by the Florida Department of Children & Families (DCF), it does not have to be DCF that files the case.